Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Correct Mom

In the book "Life Interrupted", there's a quote called "Hear Me Out" by a young mom. She says: "Is there a magical age that makes mothering okay? Can I hold my head high at twenty? Twenty-five? Thirty? What makes a good mom? A nice paycheck? A house in the suburbs? Will people respect me if I enrolled my child in a private preschool? Or dressed him in designer clothes? Or is it enough just to love him? To read stories at bedtime? To kiss baby toes and tickle baby bellies? It may not be enough for society. But it will be enough for me. For my child."


So, what is the correct age to become a mom? Should society have a say in what age is correct? I use the word 'correct' because if we speak our mind to say someone is too old or too young, then we have our opinion of the 'correct' age. But is it our right to say if someone is the correct age? Some women have babies into their 40's and even 50's. Are they correct? Is a teen mom correct? Or is someone correct when they chose not to have children? A dozen children? To adopt?


For me? I was 29 when I became a mom. And, to me my age was correct. I was not ready at 20 or 25. And, the age of 35 is not correct for me. For my husband and I, three was the correct number of children to have.


Maybe instead of asking if someone is correct, we look at ourselves. Do I believe I am the correct age to become a mom? Is the number of babies I chose to have correct for me? If the answer is yes, then you know the answer to your question. You can hold your head high because you are correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment